Saturday, June 28, 2008

I'm Feeling Economically Stimulated

The skies have opened and the all mighty light of the United States government has finally shown down upon me! It started as average, ordinary day, filled with the same old silliness I've come to make a habit. But in fact it was a most special day! Cue the trumpet fanfare! My economic stimulus check has arrived! I almost can't wait to spend it! I've been thinking of all the things I'm going to buy. Oh the choices! But then my evil "rational" personality chimes in. "Save It!" it slithers in my ear. Damn you rational side! Why do you vex me? Have I not been saving for what seems like forever??

But let's just suppose I get it. Just for a second, humor me.

This is what I take the point of the stimulus check to be: The government gives us some of our taxes back. They want us to go out and spend the money that they are giving us back on whatever crap we want. Best case scenario for them would be that we do spend it, because that would then stimulate the economy. Saving it will not stimulate anything, including interest. So to summarize, the government gives us back some of the money we made working. They want us to spend that money on stuff. So the people who make the stuff get our money for the stuff they made. Then presto! The economy is stimulated! Makes sense I suppose.

I know this is getting long winded, but bear with me. I have a point. I promise.

I'm not heading to the rich get richer point that I could go to. Because believe me that has most certainly crossed my mind. My check will probably go to pay for gasoline, and we all know how I feel about gas prices, so we'll leave it at that. I think the whole "stimulus plan" in theory is a great idea. But just to offer an opinion why don't we cut the taxes on certain things that are taxed high and used often. Like gas for example. Some of the gas price is actually tax. Taxes put in place by the state and federal governments. So if we dropped that tax an equivalent of what our stimulus check was worth might that have the same effect on the economy? Stretching it out over 365 days would make it a pittance. It's an average of $1.64 a day. Although this check is great to get, it's not doing anything to those who could've used it before it became tough to keep up with their bills. Anyone who has trouble staying afloat will see this check as a blessing. Believe me, I was there. It took me many years to get my self back on track. But the average $600 that an individual is going to get back isn't going to get many people out of the hole. I imagine this plan to be the equivalent of a getting a "rub and tug". Except, you end up with just the "tug". Then later on you find yourself wondering, "Why does my back still hurt?" You're going to feel like you got a great deal, probably forget that $600 is gone before you blinked an eye, then realize the government missed the real point. It'll take a lot more than $600 to really help you feel economically secure. With people losing their homes everyday I'm pretty sure this check isn't going to do much to help them.

I do appreciate the money though, I'm certainly not complaining. And you can't have it back. I promise Dubua, I'll put it to good use, no matter what I buy.

I'm just one man with a distored view on what the culture tells me should be reality. So join me in asking questions. Stop conforming to what the TV tells you is the way to live. Make up your own mind! THINK!

No comments: